Thursday, May 14, 2015

Clay cactus in a pinch pot


Clay lessons for my 4 & 5’s were remarkably completed in just two 45 minute sessions and this post is about our 4th grade clay cacti in pinch pots. Why the rush? Testing knocked my art classes out of sync for almost three weeks - yikes! We made it work, however...


Fourth graders used pinching, modeling, score & slipping, and textured slab work to build these little beauties, and after firing was complete the following week we painted with tempera, mixing colors for a natural look or inventing abstract plants. I think they are fantastic! I especially love the variety of greens against the brightly colored pots.










9 comments:

  1. These are Great! I don't have a kiln but maybe I could swing this with air dry clay. It's perfect for our drought conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have a slight obsession with cacti! These are absolutely fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an excellent lesson! I am astonished you completed it ALL from start to finish in 2 class periods!! I remember the year I did it and I think we were working with the clay for 2-3 class periods. I guess when time is ticking.....you have no choice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right - I told the kids when they walked in the door the countdown was on and kept giving them time updates - I'm sure it was not the most pleasant art experience, ha! Everyone finished though so that's good :)

      Delete
  4. Very cool lesson! I think I am going to have to try this one for next school year! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Were the cactus hollow? Great lesson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they were solid but no thicker than a finger so no issues with that - good question! Thanks :)

      Delete
  6. What keeps them standing upright? Thinking of doing this with other plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We score and slip the bottom of the pot and press the plants in. If they are too large they will droop, so they have to be fairly small. Trial and error process. You can also press them to the inside wall f the pot for more support.

      Delete

Comments are very appreciated - thanks for stopping by!