Saturday, March 5, 2016

Clay cacti and pinch pots, 4th grade


Students studied examples of colorful Mexican terra cotta and succulent plants before trying their hands at building clay versions-  using pinching, coiling, cut slabs, and joining techniques, followed by surface design. First day focused on pinching the pot, smoothing and adding a coil foot and textures. Second day was forming the plants with modeling, coiling, and cutting, then rolling pebbles with the remaining clay for pot filler. After firing, we spent the final day painting with good quality bottled tempera.














3 comments:

  1. This post has put in me the desire to make these again with 4th grade this year! Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this idea! tks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good day I am so happy I found your blog, I really found
    you by mistake, while I was looking on Aol for something else, Nonetheless I am here
    now and would just like to say thank you for a remarkable post
    and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to look over it all at the moment but I
    have saved it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will
    be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the superb jo.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very appreciated - thanks for stopping by!