Monday, August 11, 2014

Welcome back! See what's new...

It's our first week back to school and all of my smartest artists are working on new portfolios and a Pinterest-inspired inspiration board group project. I am really lucky to have an amazing art room and I made a few updates this summer, just to freshen things up a bit, including a new rug and bench in the reading area.


I created a small workspace for two called "the QT", or the quiet table, for kids who want to work away from the others for a bit. The QT is surrounded by little plants, adding to the peaceful quality, and topped off with some beautifully illustrated motivational posters by Pop! Prints - Scholastic.


I have updated my portfolios and now have three different levels - K/1, 2/3, 4/5 - with word walls, media tallies, color wheels and more.

I will be using the "ART" noise level again this year, and the stack of papers under the paperweight is called an Art Starter Idea Sheet, which is a space for making personal observations and recording favorite memories, and can be referred to throughout the year when starting new projects. Each student should be connected to their art and able to make personal creative choices.

I updated the look of my classroom bulletin boards as well, although most of the info hasn't changed. I did move my hand painted elements of art to a new space and am in the process of making the principles of art to go with them.

Couldn't resist these happy lil paintbrush faces...



Here's the side of the room I can show you now - the other corner is getting a mural soon so it's kind of a mess and I will be excited to share that corner in the next few weeks hopefully.

You art teachers will recognize the infamous Michael's frames that everyone bought on the massive clearance this summer! I also made a little sign using the word "challenge" to remind the students that althought they are having a ball in art, they are learning, problem solving, and creatively challenging themselves. 

I spend a good bit of time posting about our art experiences online, so I made a little "following" wall, also with the clearance bonanza wooden shapes :). Please follow us on Twitter and Instagram, just look for the links on the right sidebar.

Thanks for stopping by! Here's to a wonderful, artful, peaceful year.












11 comments:

  1. I love your "following" wall decorations! Perhaps with all the classes going to tech, they'll commission you to make one for everyone 😉
    You rock! I will miss you, but look forward to being able to keep up with you through SM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are we going to do without our tech guru? Safe travels and yes - it will be fun to stay connected across the globe!

      Delete
  2. Everything looks great! I would really like like to have a rug for the floor in front of my Smartboard... I share with the music teacher and I know he would like one also...( lots of rules about rugs at school...) it's a place I have the students meet often before a new lesson... maybe a donors choose project this Fall... Hope you have a creative and fun year! I always look forward to what your students are doing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I absolutely love your art portfolios! Would you be willing to share the template or guide me to where you might be selling the template?

    Thanks!
    Erin Mikels
    emikels@beas.blueearth.k12.mn.us

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your portfolio covers! I usually have my k-5 kiddos learn about/use bubble letters and design their own...but would love to try a cover like yours! Do you sell the design or would you be willing to share? I love your room, it looks awesome!
    Thanks!
    Susan
    Susan_rdlph@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog on Pinterest and am so inspired! Would you be willing to share/sell your portfolios? emilyarob@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I recognize those little plants in the QT area...need any more?

    Rina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for taking us around your room. You are so lucky to have such a beautiful space. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your portfolio covers are fantastic! Are you willing to share or sell? Thank you!
    rosehowes@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very appreciated - thanks for stopping by!